We Have Learned To Suck Our Thumb

The title of this post pretty much sums it up. For a while G tried putting most of her fingers in her mouth at the same time, but she's now worked out that a thumb is all she needs. Must remember to wean her off it before her 18th birthday.

You'll notice that she's wearing blue. I suppose this means she looks like a boy, but seeing as all kinds of people have mistaken her for a boy even when she's been wearing a dress, I don't think it matters all that much what colour clothes she wears. Except I don't like putting her in pink.

I'd decided I wanted to try to keep the amount of pink clothes, toys and other stuff in G's life to a minimum long before she was born. This is partly because I don't want my daughter to look like all the other little girls that seem to spend their entire lives clad head-to-toe in pink, but mostly because I'm worried that if she grows up wearing pink all the time she might end up thinking that she's a girl and can only do 'girl' things.

I've since found out that these people feel so strongly about exactly this issue, they've set up a whole campaign about it. Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted if G grew up to be a nurse or a teacher or whatever. But secretly I really want her to be an astronaut. And whoever heard of an astronaut with a pink spacesuit?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Astronaut Barbie has a pink spacesuit!

Anonymous said...

She is gorgeous. Why do I never bump into you both in the northern quarter so i can coo at her?

Ive just bought my Goddaughter, aged 9, a bright pink furry jacket for Christmas. Last night on the Christmas market she begged for pink earmuffs. Her mum was unmoved, Godmummy melted and handed over the £3, which is the most fun I've had from £3 for a while. Mummy said she reluctantly removed them because it was impossible to get into pyjamas without.

When she was tiny her daddy read a book that said fathers treat their precious baby girls like, um precious baby girls, so they grow up less physically confidently than boys. He threw her into the air making her squeal with excitement/joy/terror and caught her as her mum wailed 'but you never did that with James'. She is now a lovely confident little girl, I have seen her dangle from horrifying climbing frames and turn cartwheels under a wide open sky.

The pink jacket - I wouldn't wear it, cos i like the dark colours that say don't look at me - bright pink fake fur says look at me. "but i think she can carry it off' said her mum when asked for advice. And she can, cos she is confident and bright and not afraid to wear clothes that say, look at me I'm fun and fabulous, and that is the sort of woman I wish for her to become.

Guess what i'm saying is we shouldnt be afraid if little girls we love are attracted to a bright strong colour like pink. She'll be ok if you also put her in tiny converse and dont treat her like a princess. Dont drive down the road holding her by one leg out of the car window tho, that is a step too far.

Richard said...

Good work on the earmuffs, you're such a soft touch though! Next time you see her give her a lump of coal and a satsuma, and tell her to make her own fun!

I don't feel so strongly about the pink issue that I'd ban her from wearing it, I think it's more that I just don't want her to look like everyone else, and most girls of all ages often seem to be in pink. But if she grows up and asks me to paint her room seven different shades of pink, I won't say no.

I also can't believe I haven't seen you around the Northern Quarter, I'm often pottering around. Not for much longer though, we're going to be moving out to the country in a few weeks. I realise this means that, before I know it, my little girl is going to want a pony. Probably a pink one.